Saturday, December 16, 2006

History of beloved "Christmas"


Ok, so we're down to just over a week from Christmas. I swear, this time of year, I'm like a kid myself. I get so excited about Christmas. I'm not a religious person, and I don't celebrate it for Jesus' birthday - I celebrate Christmas because it's FUN!!!

I've had some fun over the past couple of weeks over the big hub over department stores bringing back the phrase "merry Christmas". A couple of years ago, due to so many activist groups getting offended, it was no longer acceptable to wish consumers a "merry Christmas". Due to the fact that Hannukah and Kwanzaa were also celebrated around the same time - it was offensive to wish people a merry Christmas. So it was then adopted that "happy holidays" was the better and acceptable greeting. Well, then of course, all of the Christian organizations had a fit about it. Protests boycotting stores that use "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas" started. This year - major department stores, like Wal-Mart, Target and K-Mart, decided that due to all of the flack they were receiving by the Christian organizations they would bring back the phrase "merry Christmas". It once again shows that Christians believe that they are superior to all other religions and beliefs. Well, here's a little news flash for all of those organizations:

Christmas was a holiday brought on by the Roman Catholic church hundreds of years ago in a way to convert pagans to Christianty. On December 21st, a lot of Pagan groups celebrate the Winter Solstice - better known as Yule. Pagan groups would gather with family and friends to celebrate the return of the sun. The symbolism for Yule is the Goddess giving birth to the God, a reminder that with death comes rebirth. (Sound familiar..LOL). Pagan families would celebrate by decorating an Evergreen. An Evergreen symbolized that even with the harshest of conditions life continued. (hmmm - another symolarity?) Pagans also would burn a Yule log and light candles to honor the sun's return. This is just a very brief description of the Yule celebration - but just want to point out some facts. The Winter Solstice has been around since time itself - so very hard to be a speculated holiday. Let's take a moment to look at the birth of Jesus Christ shall we?

It states in the bible that Mary and Joseph had to travel to Bethlehem to be included in the census and for the taxes. History has shown that the census would fall around March or April. Also, many scholars of the bible have shown that it would be more accurate to say that with the description of the stars - the birth of Jesus Christ would of been around February or March. Hmmm - that's quite amazing don't you think?

Hundreds of years ago, it was decided by a Pope that Christ's Mass would be celebrated on December 25th so that Pagans could convert to Christianty, but keep some of their important holidays. AMAZING!!

So - for all of those Christian organizations that throw a fit about using the term "merry Christmas" might want to do their homework just a little bit. If anyone should be throwing a little hissy fit - shouldn't it be Pagans??

Ok - so I've made my point. I celebrate a combination of Yule and Christmas - I incorporate all of that material bullshit that has been adopted over the years. That's the best thing about my beliefs - I believe what I want. I recongnize the Winter Solstice on December 21st, but I love to get my kids all excited about the thought of Santa visiting and bringing lots of presents on Christmas eve. We eat, drink, and be merry for a few days - just the way I like it. So to everyone reading this - whether you celebrate Christmas, Yule, Kwanzaa or Hannukah - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!

1 comment:

Living Dees Life said...

I LOVE your POV and the way you tell it! I'm SO sharing you on my blog!

MUCH LOVE