Friday, August 17, 2007

Fat People Can't Have Kids Now???


So, I'm sitting in the living room this morning watching the news while I'm waiting for Steve to come home from work. I basically put it on in the morning for noise while I'm getting ready, but a story that had on this morning made me perk up and pay attention.

A guy in Missouri wanted to adopt his cousin's baby as the cousin was unable to care for the small child. The man already has a 7 year old adopted son, and is a state certified foster parent. A judge denied his petition for full adoption on the sole purpose of... wait for it.... HE'S FAT!!


The story goes on to reveal that the judge has concerns that the 500lb man may get diabetes or other weight related medical issues. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! Hearing about this story really pissed me off. I'm an overweight person, I have no problems with diabetes or any other weight problems. What the hell has that got to do with having a child???

My questioning moves on further to ask, now that this poor guy has been denied the right to adopt his cousin - who will care for the child now? The biological parent has stated that she can't care for the child, so what happens now? I suppose they put the child into foster care. We all know that foster care is SO MUCH better than placing the child with biological family members, right?? I am so outraged by this B.S.

I understand that weight can play a part in many health factors, but this poor guy has a very active 7 year old son that he stated he plays with often. The 7 year old is suffering in no way by having an obese father. To say that a person should be denied adoption rights because he "may" get some form of weight health issues is the same as saying someone "may" get cancer, or "may" get hit by a freaking bus. No one can prove that ALL overweight people are going to have health issues.

I just had to get my rant out about this. What's next on the list of what judges can decide??? How utterly ridiculous!!!

No comments: