Monday, June 01, 2009

Be Careful When Joking!

Mondays are most usually blah days, anyways, but today takes the biscuit!

This summer, I only have to work 2 days a week - Mondays and Tuesdays. I don't mind too much, but the days are long and the work is slow because not many people take summer classes - which means less work for IT to do around here. My main goal is to get thru the day the best I can without falling asleep, but it really makes for a bad day when someone ruins it for you.

This morning, I received a phone call from someone who was having problems getting into their account. No biggie, very common problem. So, I checked her account and made the very common joke "just need to make sure you haven't been fired". She laughs, I laugh, I help her with the problems - call over. An hour later, my boss comes in to tell me that the V.P. of our department received a written complaint about the joke I made to her!! WTF??

Moral to the story - don't joke around!! What I considered a joke got me into a lot of trouble. I'm totally dumbfounded by the whole thing - but now I'm on edge about who I talk to so that I don't offend anyone. Geez...I'm ready for this day to be over!

1 comment:

Living Dees Life said...

wow. i'd say that was pretty insane of her to go over board on your joke.

i am sorry you got into trouble over it.